Herring Salad is called in Russian cuisine “Herring in a Furcoat”. Serve this salad in a glass bowl to show off the colorful layers.
- Cut herring crosswise into 1-inch pieces.
- Peel the potatoes and the beet and dice them into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Chop scallions into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Spread all the herring pieces on the bottom of the serving bowl, top them with the scallions, then the potatoes, and then the beets.
- For the final layer, spread the mayonnaise over the beets.
- Decorate with parsley springs and olives.
- Serve chilled.
- The salad can be refrigerated, covered with plastic wrap, for up to 12 hours.
- 3/4 pound salt herring
- 2 unpeeled boiled potatoes
- 2 medium cooked, unpeeled beets
- 6 scallions
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- Parsley springs
- Oil-Cured Black Olives
- A 11/2-quart glass serving bowl