Salmon Kulebyaka (Fish Pie)
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Pre-cook salmon and buckwheat or rice in separate dishes. You can sauté the salmon or bake in the oven. Boil the rice or buckwheat until al-dente.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and sauté onions for about 10min. Onions should be opaque, tender and slightly golden brown. Stir in the pre-cooked rice or buckwheat, adding chopped fresh dill, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste,
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the thawed puff pastry, to make a 12 in square. Excess flour will toughen the pastry as will excess working of the dough, so keep it light.
- Spread the rice or buckwheat mix over the pastry, leaving about a 1/2 inch border. Arrange the pre-cooked salmon pieces on top of the rice, scatter the chopped egg over the salmon. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. You can also use crushed red pepper flakes for extra spice.
- Brush pastry edges with whipped egg. Fold the pastry to form a rectangle and press edges together to seal contents.
- Place pastry onto baking tray and glaze the top with beaten egg. Pierce the pastry on top to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Bake in the middle of oven shelf for approx 40min. Cover with foil after 30min to prevent the top from burning. Leave on baking tray to cool and serve.
This recipe makes about four servings.